Message from Key Leaders
Welcome to One Bright Star highlights. We thank you for taking the time to read about our organization. One Bright Star’s mission is to be a resource for grieving families after the death of a child.
One Bright Star’s Founding Mothers created a star symbol that could be worn as a pin or pendant. This star represents a child that has passed from our lives. Our vision is that people will recognize the symbol and reach out to those who have suffered such a loss with greater compassion, hugs, support, and most important talking about their child.
With God’s help, may families feel the strength to carry on, to cherish yesterday, live for today, and hope for tomorrow.
Thanks for reading,
Cassi Wanous – Interim Executive Director
Erica Fischer – Board President
Highlights of the Past Year
One Bright Star is continuously looking for ways to reach out to families after the loss of a child and provide resources when they are ready. Below are just some of services that One Bright Star provided in the last year.
- One Bright Star has mailed or handed out more than 250 Star Journals. This journal was created by many families sharing their experiences with loss. It helps families take steps through the grieving process and gives them the opportunity to write down how they are feeling which has been found to be very therapeutic. The journals are free of charge to families and a way we can offer support to them when they are ready.
- One Bright Star was able to offer a matching grant program to families. The grant helps families purchase a plaque to be placed in the One Bright Star Children’s Memorial or One Bright Star jewelry to be worn in memory of their child.
- The One Bright Star Children’s Memorial is located in Erlandson Park in Mankato, MN. The memorial site was built in 2004 and offers families a place they can honor and remember their child. A plaque or paver can be placed in the memorial and One Bright Star holds an annual memorial service.
- One Bright Star has continued to sponsor and host a monthly radio program on KTOE 1420 AM called, Life After Loss. This program is on the fourth Monday of each month at 1 pm. One Bright Star and Mayo Clinic Health System – Hospice share topics ranging from dealing with the grieving process to support groups, programs, and events for grieving families. Pete Steiner moderates the show and has been a longtime supporter of One Bright Star.
- One Bright Star was able to host the 2nd annual Mom’s of Angel’s Painting night. This is a free of charge event for Mother’s of angels to come and connect, create & celebrate the lives of their children.
- One Bright Star hosted 13 youth ages from 4-17 that have suffered the loss of a friend or family member at the 2nd annual Children’s Mini-Camp. This free of charge event is a fun filled 3 hours for youth to express their feelings through paint, activities, discussion, and much more.